Randomly started getting some tiny lag spikes. (Reward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityGene

So starting from about the middle of November, I started to get some small ping spikes which are affecting my gameplay. Here's a screenshot to show you what happens when I get one (Referring to where the red arrow and box is. Just ignore everything else).

DJnyAm6.jpg

Here's a guide for reference as to what "what" is - https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2_Network_Graph

Currently, I've tried the following

• Restarting TF2 (obviously)
  • Resetting the TF2 settings to default
  • Verifying Files/Cache, etc.
  • Re-installing TF2

What I am going to do next is
  • Change the router channel to another one
  • Reset the router (Pinhole at the back)

But while I am trying the above, I still would love an explanation as to why this is occurring. Feel free to ask me questions related to it and I'll answer them the best I can. Thanks.

Incentive
The first person to come up with a working solution will earn 10 Steam Game codes from myself. (As a thank you).

if you don't have one already, create a cfg file named ''autoexec.cfg'' in steam/steamapps/common/tf2/tf/cfg.

once you create it place this text inside;

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 60000

tell me what happens after

DayV said:
if you don't have one already, create a cfg file named ''autoexec.cfg'' in steam/steamapps/common/tf2/tf/cfg.

once you create it place this text inside;

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 60000

tell me what happens after

9694D290F5E8EC470C56F41765044466F6FB7282

Still doing it (More worse than before now)

you need to determine which is causing the issue: the servers you're playing on or your own internet. if those spikes are there on all servers and not just the ones in the screenshot, then it's your own internet.

i had the same issues about a month back. ping would be at 20-30 then would suddenly spike over 200. csgo comp matches were unplayable because it's hard to shoot a guy who is teleporting and twitching all over the place.

doing a factory reset on my router seemed to fix it. it went back to default settings, but you can obviously change them back (your ssid and security, for example).

there are several factors that affect your connection but the one that was bringing me down was my router. i chalked it up to the terrible firmware the router has installed on it (router/modem combo from xfinity). the config page was slow and sometimes didn't load at all or would crash my router entirely. your situation may or may not be the same case but a factory reset isn't going to hurt anything.

if you're up for tinkering with your router, you can install a custom firmware called dd-wrt. google "dd-wrt <your router model>" and read about it. i installed dd-wrt on an old linksys router i had and internet speeds nearly doubled.

edit: i'm assuming you know how to get to your router's config page, but in case you don't, type "ipconfig" in a command prompt (assuming you're on windows) and find your default gateway. type that in your browser as if it were a website and it should pop up. you may have to google the default login for your router but they're usually something simple like admin:admin or admin:password.

giggybyte said:

Well I had a look at that site and sadly, my model isn't on there. So I'll go with your other suggestion and perform a factory reset on the router itself. I'll update this post on how it goes.

EDIT - Still the same

Turns out Giggy was actually right (After giving my net some cooldown. Tested an EU server, another US server and then intox. With that, everything is fine now. Thanks for the others who tried to help but in the end,

Giggybyte

maxresdefault.jpg

I'll give you the codes through steam

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom