Dodgeball Changes General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacredavenger22

Our dodge ball config has been tweaked slightly in the past to make our server feel more competitive and with the upcoming tournament in mind we were wondering what the general thoughts were about our server and its config. 

A few of us mods have heard complaints about the config and we are looking to address them. We also recognize that the server location change has increased ping for most players and we are looking to fix that as well. If you have any issues to discuss with regard to our DB server, please do so in this thread. 

Edit: By "config" we mean things like spawn speed, speed increase per airblast, how tight or loose the rockets target you, etc

Remove maps people don't play:

tfdb_anotherbox_v3fix
tfdb_arena_r2
tfdb_boxofwave_a1
tfdb_catland_v1
tfdb_glassfloor_reflex
tfdb_glowbox_b4
tfdb_maui_b3
tfdb_partyisland_v3 (we need the less bright one)
tfdb_platform_intox
tfdb_satellite_v1
tfdb_skyfort_v4a
tfdb_speed_v2
tfdb_steelworks_a2
db_ring_b4 (pretty sure it breaks the mod anyway)

And lower the number of maps that must be played before you can replay a map. I was against this before but other servers seem to do fine with blucourt pretty much 24/7, I guess people don't like variety.

also I forgot ALL THIS TIME TO VOUCH FOR THAT PARTYISLAND_NOBRIGHT, THANKS CELACH
So, I'm thinking of making the splash range bigger, if that's possible. I've seen and been in so many situations where the rocket's explosion was just out of the player's range, or the range made NO sense when other times, it killed them.
Also maybe find other maps to add and keep some of the unpopular maps  because I like them because maybe they'll start being playable, even only slightly.

Honestly we should remove the maps from the rotation but keep them in the server so admins can put them up on occasion. Also as far as the config goes. It seems like a lot of complaints are centered around how hard it is to wave on our server. I think rocket speed and turn rate should be adjusted. Also have we ever added a bot?

Sacredavenger22 said:
Honestly we should remove the maps from the rotation but keep them in the server so admins can put them up on occasion. Also as far as the config goes. It seems like a lot of complaints are centered around how hard it is to wave on our server. I think rocket speed and turn rate should be adjusted. Also have we ever added a bot?

I see a lot of people waving. Maybe they're just not doing it right. In my opinion, it's easy to wave. They should change their own settings, like mouse sensitivity, instead of changing the whole game.

I don't think we've ever added a bot on our public Dodgeball server, but I have seen it on one of our previous tournament servers.

Wanderer Koishi Komeiji said:
So, I'm thinking of making the splash range bigger, if that's possible. I've seen and been in so many situations where the rocket's explosion was just out of the player's range, or the range made NO sense when other times, it killed them.

If you mean for waving, isn't that what is supposed to happen sometimes? I thought the reason people liked waves was because the rocket takes that awkward path above your head that's hard to hit. Well if the rocket is going above and behind you, it might not be close enough to damage them. That's the tradeoff.

Skyraids said:
Wanderer Koishi Komeiji said:

If you mean for waving, isn't that what is supposed to happen sometimes? I thought the reason people liked waves was because the rocket takes that awkward path above your head that's hard to hit. Well if the rocket is going above and behind you, it might not be close enough to damage them. That's the tradeoff.

Pretty much this. If it keeps happening over and over then maybe people should stop waving every single rocket and think of the geometry of whats happening. Otherwise rockets doing no splash damage is caused by height differences between the airblasting pyro and the rocket target (think of float).

IMO these are things that the players should have to take into account for themselves (and maybe hit the rocket a different way if your preferred way isn't working), instead of changing the actual configuration to accommodate for people not adapting to these circumstances.

But if anything is changed, let it be a small increase in the turn rate of the rocket so it tracks closer to the pyro instead of playing with splash damage radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom