Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dead at 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizz

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-79-has-died-officials-say-n518156
[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, the bench's ideological conservative known for his fiery comments in and out of the courtroom, has died, Texas' governor said Saturday. He was 79.[/font]

[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Justice Antonin Scalia was a man of God, a patriot, and an unwavering defender of the written Constitution and the Rule of Law. He was the solid rock who turned away so many attempts to depart from and distort the Constitution," Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement.[/font]

[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"We mourn his passing, and we pray that his successor on the Supreme Court will take his place as a champion for the written Constitution and the Rule of Law," the governor added.[/font]
[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[size=medium] [font=ProximaNovaBold, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Influential Conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dead at 79[/font] 3:40
[/font][/size]

[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Chief Justice Roberts said that he and his fellow justices were saddened to learn of his death.[/font]

[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the Court and the country he loyally served," Roberts said in a statement.[/font]

[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The court's most influential conservative, Scalia was nominated in 1986 under President Ronald Reagan, who named him as associate justice. A lawyer by trade, Scalia entered public service in the 1970s as general counsel for President Richard Nixon and as the assistant attorney general.[/font]

[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]At the time of his Supreme Court nomination, Scalia was confirmed unanimously — 98 to zero — after telling senators he had no plans to reshape the law.[/font]

[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"I am not going onto the court with a list of things I want to do. My only agenda is to be a good judge," he said.[/font]
[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]But he quickly became one of the court's most outspoken conservatives, serving as a steadfast opponent of gay rights and affirmative action in hiring and school admissions, and abortion rights. The landmark case of Roe v. Wade, he said, was wrongly decided, declaring rights that the founding fathers never intended.[/font]

[font=ProximaNovaRegular, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Abortion, homosexual conduct ... Nobody ever thought that they had been included in the rights contained in the Bill of Rights," he said once.[/font]
He was one of the four judges that voted no for the 5-4 decision to legalize same sex marriage in all 50 states in June 2015.

Without reading I can only guess it's because it's his last year of eight.

McConnell is a fucking joke. Americans had their say when they elected the President, who has a duty to appoint Justices.

I didn't wish Scalia harm/death but I am glad he is gone from the SCOTUS.

bsp said:
McConnell is a fucking joke. 

Agreed, but I am also laughing at Dems that are getting asstight about Republicans declaring that they will block all nominees of Obama when they were doing the same shit not long ago. I love political divides. 

Also i saw an interesting article about how the Republicans obstructing the appointment of a nominee could cause them to lose the senate when the time comes to vote. 

It's funny how that Republicans are screaming conspiracy. They think Obama had him killed. Smh.

People aren't smart. If Obama was going to be killing a Supreme Court justice, it would have happened a lot sooner and it wouldn't have been the elderly, obese with heart problems one.

zoL said:
People aren't smart.  If Obama was going to be killing a Supreme Court justice, it would have happened a lot sooner and it wouldn't have been the elderly, obese with heart problems one.

completely agree. However to dispel any rumors they should have just performed an autopsy. 

Sacredavenger22 said:
zoL said:
People aren't smart.  If Obama was going to be killing a Supreme Court justice, it would have happened a lot sooner and it wouldn't have been the elderly, obese with heart problems one.

completely agree. However to dispel any rumors they should have just performed an autopsy. 

Or you respect the family's wishes, the doctors recommendations, and the lack of any evidence suggesting anything other than a natural death and don't.  People coming in from a solely political or conspiratorial perspective shouldn't be in charge of deciding who does and who doesn't get autopsies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom