Changes To Zombie Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requiesta de Silencia

http://www.strawpoll.me/12805569

Primarily I mean:
  • Reduce the bells and whistles (ie. no music and overlays)
  • Align the mode a little bit back to core (ie. fewer buffs and penalties)
  • Re-implement the damage system (ie. remove marking and replace with the older damage system)
  • Re-introduce map timers (a lot of work for me) giving map makers the control over round lengths
Post other suggestions below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the gamemode as it is now is perfect. It's a lot simpler and easier to play than any of the other zombie servers on TF2 (it's annoying on zombie fortress how i have to figure out which buffs and perks I want to use, which complicates gameplay in a very frustrating way). I should mention I almost exclusively play Team Fortress 2 for the Intox Zombie Mod server, because it's the gamemode I enjoy the most by far. I'd be really disappointed if it was altered in such a drastic way.

The music works well with the gamemode, and the overlay is important (how will we know when the round ends without it?).

The dynamic round times based on the number of players on the server is really helpful. Putting the burden of deciding round times on the map makers (no guarantee they'll even respond to any such requested changes, they could be inactive or away for several weeks or months) seems like a bad idea in my opinion.

I would not be in favor of ZombieMod reverting to a "simpler" form. It's really already very simple as a gamemode. It plays well and is a lot of fun for players of all skill levels,

_____________________________________________________________________________________

However, if there is one thing i'd like to see changed though, it'd be the addition of some new maps or previously-discontinued maps, and the removal of some of the current maps which do not play so well.

Some maps I think should be removed and why
:
  • zm_desert
    Literally the entire map is just a giant open space. Players spend most of their time running around trying to reach each other rather than fighting. There is no real place for the humans to survive well, other than the corners of the map, which takes zombie players a very long time to reach, only to get killed repeatedly by demoknights and snipers.
  • zm_helmsdeep_v2
    Same problem as zm_desert. Zombie players spend most of their time running across the map trying to reach the humans. The humans have an extremely strong camping spot in the room on the left side of the main gate, which is extremely difficult for zombies to penetrate (one small entrance that has thick walls shielding the doorway on either side, plus a small staircase up). There are also some exploit spots that still have not been fixed after several years. The map is very beautiful, but I just don't think it works well for Zombie Mod.
  • zm_blood_gulch
    Same issue as the two above. It's a long and large open area, with each team spawning on the far opposite ends of the map, which means that zombies spend most of their time running to reach the humans, only to quickly die from sentry and sniper fire when the humans set up on the back ridge. The map heavily favors snipers and engineers; it's very unbalanced in my opinion.
Some maps I think would be a great addition/replacement to the previous maps:
  • cp_gorge
    Map is reminiscent of zm_scaryfort in design, but with more interesting places for humans to set up their survival spots in. A few areas of the map would need to be sealed off as they could potentially provide tremendously overpowered camping spots for the humans (such as this one)
  • arena_watchtower
    Map is overall well-rounded in design (no pun intended). It is not too big, so it does not take a long time for zombies to reach humans. It also does not have any spots that particularly favor the humans extremely well, all potential survival spots have multiple points of entry.
  • koth_nucleus
    Map is medium-sized and has plenty of nice but not overpowered spots for humans to survive in. All around a great potential map for Zombie Mod.
So yeah, if there are going to be any changes, I would like it to be the maps, instead of the gamemode itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed/Added the maps suggested above.

This thread has also been changed to a general Zombie Mod Changes thread.

The music works well with the gamemode, and the overlay is important (how will we know when the round ends without it?).

Based on the votes so far that doesn't seem to be the majority opinion. I can default the music and other bells and whistles off and let those who actually want them turn them on if enough people like that concept.

But the overlay I'm talking about is the slightly grainy overlay you get while playing as a zombie, not the UI.

Based on the votes so far that doesn't seem to be the majority opinion. I can default the music and other bells and whistles off and let those who actually want them turn them on if enough people like that concept.

But the overlay I'm talking about is the slightly grainy overlay you get while playing as a zombie, not the UI.
Being able to toggle the music and effects on and off would be a nice solution. I'd be in favor of that over throwing them out altogether.

I never really noticed any grainy overlay when playing as Zombie. I know the screen is turned red/green a bit sometimes though.

Being able to toggle the music and effects on and off would be a nice solution. I'd be in favor of that over throwing them out altogether.

I never really noticed any grainy overlay when playing as Zombie. I know the screen is turned red/green a bit sometimes though.

You should be able to turn them off in the !zm menu already, I was just going to default it to off so new players aren't hit with too much all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom