United States Currency to be redesigned to include women and Harriet Tubman on the 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Static Kyrbi

In case you haven't heard yet.

The long-awaited currency redesign will have a cascading effect on bills of all denominations over the next decades, as new security features are introduced to make the bills harder to counterfeit. New bills will also have tactile features to make them easier for blind citizens to distinguish.

And, Lew said, the redesign will affect the fronts and backs of each denomination. "We want people to pay attention to the whole bill," he said. Among the changes announced:

► President Lincoln will remain on the front of the $5 bill, but the image of the Lincoln Memorial on the back will be redesigned to depict historic events that happened there: Opera singer Marian Anderson's 1939 concert and Martin Luther King Jr.'s 1963 "I Have a Dream" speech.

► The back of the $10 bill will tell the story of the women's suffrage movement, which culminated in the 19th amendment giving women the right to vote in 1920. Among the women to be honored on the back of that bill: Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Alice Paul.

► To make room for Tubman on the front of the $20 bill, Jackson will be moved to the back where he'll be incorporated into the existing image of the White House. Lew said that image could depict the statue of Jackson riding horseback in Lafayette Square across Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House.

I don't really think that Harriet Tubman was the best choice for the spot, but it's still very cool nonetheless.
Here's the source

Andrew Jackson always felt odd to me. There are definitely more known and more important people you could put on a bill. I feel like putting a woman and African American on a bill is a good way to represent two pretty important groups of people in American history.

But Jackson was the only president to completely eliminate the US debt so that alone makes him fitting. I personally don't care who is on any of our currency but I am against wasting money to reprint new money.

Why is eliminating debt considered a good thing? Having your population owning bonds on your country isn't bad, and I wager economic consensus is that it is healthy.

I agree I think it's just the feat thats pretty cool. Also I think anyone should be against wasteful spending and gross accumulation of debt that will be left for younger generations.

Sacredavenger22 said:
But Jackson was the only president to completely eliminate the US debt so that alone makes him fitting.

He also told the Rothschild's to fuck off, took part in duels, and expanded America by kicking over Natives. He was a hell of a Commander in Chief. Putting him on a bill is more out of spite since he absolutely hated the idea of a standard currency.

I wonder when the people angry about this last gave any thoughts to the president that was on their $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom