TF2 Surf Map Making: An Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egan

Mapping for TF2 surf, Starting Out

What's going on right now in surf:
Well, as most of you know, there are not a lot of surf map makers. And, as a obvious result, we don't get a lot of new maps every year. In fact I can probably count all of 2011's new maps on one hand. So, what I'm hoping this small stub of an article does is relieve some problems that I had when I first started mapping, and pass those fixes on to you. Basically, I hope we can get more surf maps for TF2.

I've never made a map before.
Watch 3kliksphilip's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1-RDcoe5U

Watch the rest of his videos to learn about the basics of map making.

Here actually, this one was good too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATCJz79LC0

Here are some other useful links that can help you with your basic problems.

All the entities in hammer are listed here, and it has a lot of tutorials on how to make things for TF2.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Level_Creation

This website has articles on the theory behind mapping for TF2. Things like: Density of detailing, shortcuts, ammo/health placement, etc.
www.nodraw.net/

This guy has over 80 videos of a variety of topics for map making in general. A couple of the tutorials are only for CounterStrike: Source, but most of them do work.
www.youtube.com/user/rocketrascal34

Paste your compile log here if you're having an error, and this website will give you all the errors it can find, and how to solve those.
http://www.interlopers.net/errors/

Also remember that if you have a problem, google it before asking others for help. Lots of people use SourceSDK so if you're having a problem, chances are someone else has had that problem too.

I know how to make a map, but what can I use to map for surf?
Get out some paper and a pen and start out with your layout. Get an idea of what you want to make before you go into hammer. Once you get in hammer you might find your brain goes blank, and you get some sort of block. So make sure you have an idea of what you want to make by having it all out in front of you first.

Consider the size of the level. Most surf servers for tf2 run at 32 slots. And now that it's summer you can expect to see it almost constantly around 28-30 players. If that many people are going to be on your map, make sure you adjust the size of the areas in your map accordingly. If you notice on maps like surf_utopia, there are wide areas to land safely in water on at checkpoints, and the jail has more than one teleporter where a team can pop out of. The jail there also has proper sight lines. Snipers on the separate side platforms cannot always see one another, and if you teleport to the side areas of jail, you are not exposed to fire immediately.

Keep it stylized for TF2. If you enter 'tf' (without quotes) into the second box of the texture browser, then it will only display tf2 textures. It's not always a cardinal sin to use hl2, or css textures, however it might break immersion for players in your map to see high res realistic textures in this cartoony game. I'm sure you all can relate to that with a few of the counter strike converts.

Height advantage. Back to the examples of jails, let's look at forbidden ways reloaded. It has a somewhat complex jail, and it is stylized and nice, however because again it is a Counter Strike convert, it traps players in small areas. And when that happens in TF2, you get lots of pyros and soldiers. Here is some footage of this, if you don't believe me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AK0TOdkYb4

So, make a jail that has breathing room. Take a look at what I did for surf_torrent's jail. I basically made a small arena map and added in jail entrance teleports. The jail there is also easy to navigate, but also open in the middle enough for some small sniper games.

Lastly for now, make a map that you want. Don't make a map that you're making "for" the community. Don't ask what the community wants in a map. They do not know what they want. Just give them what you want in a map, and people will like it if it's actually well made. Look at surf_overcast, I made that with the intention of having lots of things to keep me not bored over extended periods of time. It doesn't have a good surf to it, compared to other maps. But it does do its job of keeping players busy. Now look at something like utopia, that map was designed (I think) with the intention of making sure everyone could surf it. The first checkpoint is an ideal distance away from spawn that players who are just starting off with surf can make it to with little to no practice. That's good. The END at the end of the map is daunting to some players, but the map overall still serves out its intended purpose.

I'll be making small articles like this one maybe more detailed with pictures and videos later just because they're hopefully kinda interesting to read through when you're bored of reddit and youtube, and maybe they'll help someone out who's actually trying to get into mapping.

Good luck on the mappings! :thumbs:

3kliksphillip teaches bad habits. Personally I think he has helpful tutorials for beginning hammer, but for more advanced things he does stuff that's shit for optimization or just plain bad for the engine.

Other than that, good tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom