gone for two weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

giggybyte

TL;DR: Band camp where we suffer in 90+ degrees F (32+ degrees C) for 12 hours Mon-Fri for two weeks. Also doesn't help where I march the bass drum, one of the heaviest instruments on the field. If you don't want to hear me whine for a few paragraphs, you can stop here.

You might remember my thread from last year where I left for two weeks because of band camp. Well, same thing again this year. Starting tomorrow, I will be at my fifth (and final, thank god) marching band camp. The band staff has lost any ounce of sanity they had and they've made the camp 9am-9pm (12hrs a day) for two whole weeks instead of 9am-5pm like it has been the past four years.

Believe me when I say I tried very hard to quit marching band this year. I've been pretty adamant on quitting ever since the end of my sophomore year (and I never really enjoyed it that much in the first place when I started in 8th grade), but the band is such a prevalent force in this area that it's pretty much a cult and they refused to let me go. I repeatedly told them "no" this year and they kept pestering me about it.

It got so bad that, whenever I said I hated marching band, my dad would yell at me and my mom would break down in tears "because band has done so much good for" me. The only reason I'm doing it this year is so people would shut up about it and to keep my family intact. Because they're that brainwashed by an extracurricular activity. I even had an hour-long meeting with the director and the percussion guy where they tried to guilt-trip me: "We need you here, you're the only guy that can lead the drumline, etc. etc." I've been very open about the negative impacts marching band has had on my life, and if they cared at all about my own mental state and feelings, they would've taken me out of the program a long time ago.

What really sucks about band camp are the people you have to put up with. These people "love" the program so much that they will scream in your ear ("WELCOME TO BAND CAMP!!!" "Piss off.") as you enter the door as if any of this is supposed to be enjoyable. We're also split up into "teams" that earn points if you practice well enough. These "teams" come up with stupid cheers and everything; everybody takes it so seriously that it's just a giant cringefest (especially the "talent show" which is basically "how stupid can you act for a few minutes"). If we did away with the time we waste working with our "teams," we could leave several hours earlier.

After band camp's over, it'll only be a week or so until I resume with college/school. I have college classes in the morning, high school in the afternoon, and then marching band after school. Wake up at 6am, won't get home until after 7pm. Everyday. Fun.

Since it's 12hrs a day, I obviously won't be on any of the servers, but I'll check out the forums, Steam, and Discord during my lunch and dinner breaks. If you need/want to talk, just hit me up on Steam or Discord (giggybyte#8273). See you guys in two weeks.

See ya giggle. Hope you can find a way to make some fun out of it.

At least you'll have some wicked cool stories to tell when u come back
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH619vxtNdo[/video]

stop being so over-drummatic, your problems are just bassed on being weak

gl for real :)

Sorry you're forced into doing band, Giggy. If I were you, I wouldn't give a crap if they wanted me in band, if I don't want to be in band I darn well won't be.

hopefully drums aren't the only thing you'll be banging e.e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom