Corrupt update files

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Cow Level

Alright I am at my wits end and I don't know where else or what else to do so maybe you glorious bastards can lend me a hand.

Fired up my PC the other night to download the Underlord patch for DOPA2 and got a "corrupt update files" error near the end. Verified my file cache which was 100% cool. Decided to reinstall the game entirely and about 25% through instillation got a "download corrupt" error. I could then force it to continue by hitting play game or waiting a couple minutes, at which point it will continue to download all the way to 99%, hit over to 100% and completely halt. Sitting here for a couple minutes. After a couple minutes of it sitting at 100%, it will return the "corrupt update files" error and just sit there.

I've tried to look on Steam Support for help and alas there's absolutely nothing dealing with either of these two issues. Did a couple Google searches and found other people experiencing the same problem, not necessarily with the same update/game, but did all of their suggested "fixes", from uninstalling unnecessary background applications to making an exception in Windows Defender for steam to no avail. I have a Steam Support ticket in but I honest to god don't know what to do; I'm not waiting 3 weeks for them to get back to me. I've downloaded other massive games and they downloaded perfectly.

Try doing a full uninstall of your game. That means after you uninstall it, go through your steam folder, games, documents, appdata, etc. and delete every fragment of data for that game you can find. Hopefully the corrupt data is something on your end that it's not downloading because it can detect you already have it on your pc. Otherwise it's something on their end and you should submit a request to the game's developers to fix the issue.

Went through all my folders and deleted anything with the "570" or "dota" tag in it. Screenshots, crash dumps, everything. Trying an install now, will update with how it goes.

E1: Got past the first "corrupt download" point at 30% with no problems!

E2: Got to 100% and the same error of "corrupt update files" occurred. Verified game cache and came back 100%. This is so infuriating!

Check your background processes. High disk I/O while downloading games can cause issues with individual files in the archive which would then cause the archive to have a different checksum than what Steam has on file. For good measure, I would suggest rebooting any network gateways to which you are connected to make sure the error does not lie there either.

Reactions: xrk
Sorano said:
High disk I/O while downloading games can cause issues with individual files in the archive which would then cause the archive to have a different checksum than what Steam has on file.

What's disk I/O? When I have task manager open and I am DLing DotA I notice disk tends to stick around 95-99%. I've tried to stop all unnecessary background processes but IDK what else I can stop.

E: Furthermore, wouldn't verifying the game cache catch any discrepancies?

Disk I/O is Input/Output.

You can try creating a STEAM directory on an external drive like a portable hard drive and then download the archive like that. Once it has been downloaded and installed, exit Steam, copy the files into your original Steam directory, and then remove the portable hard drive. If the files download successfully, Steam should see them in the correct directory when it restarts.

Alright I think you're onto something.

So I was just getting upset and frustrated and just started to go through the DOWNLOADING directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\downloading\570\game\bin\win64) and found the dota.exe. The game launches perfectly from here, but within the steam client its still indicating its stuck at 100% downloading and files are corrupt.

Right, but something during the download is causing the files to have a different signature than what Steam thinks it should have. Maybe Steam is trying to use the wrong signature? Copy the files to the default directory, reboot Steam, and see what happens.

Sorano said:
Right, but something during the download is causing the files to have a different signature than what Steam thinks it should have. Maybe Steam is trying to use the wrong signature? Copy the files to the default directory, reboot Steam, and see what happens.

Copied them over to the default directory and steam proceeded to download all of it again, no idea where it went. Same error at 100%.

Got a response from Steam Support. Told me to rename steamapps to old_steamapps and redownload, to no avail. Decided to reinstall Steam entirely and still having the same issue. This is so dumb. Every other game downloads and installs correctly, wtf dota.

So it sounds like there is a specific issue with that update. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom