Canada to make national anthem gender neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

kneepel

lorax
[font=NotoNashkArabic, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][size=medium]Canada’s Parliament voted overwhelmingly last week to pass a bill aimed at making the country’s national anthem gender-neutral.

Bill C-210, which passed 219 to 79, proposes to switch just two words in the lyrics of “O Canada” — changing “in all thy sons command” to “in all of us command” in one verse. The simple substitution is meant to do away with the exclusively male phrasing in part of the song, but it’s also causing an uproar among some conservative members of Canada’s government.

While a large majority of the Liberal Party-dominated Parliament favors the change, Conservative Party members vocally opposed the vote and accused Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal Party of forcing through the bill without consulting Canadians. Some Conservatives allege that the expediency is because the bill’s author, Mauril Belanger, has amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and his health is in quick decline. Conservative MP Peter Van Loan also accused the Liberals of trying to impose their worldview on Canadians.

Supporters of the bill point out that changes to the anthem are nothing new. The “thy sons” line wasn’t even in the original anthem, but was added later, in 1913. In fact, “O Canada” has only been the country’s official national anthem since 1980, when it replaced “God Save The Queen.”[/font][/size]

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/canada-anthem-gender-neutral_us_57548785e4b0ed593f14b9c8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fucking really?

haha faggots

i pledge allegiance
to the flag
of the united states of america

and to the republic
for which it stands
one nation
under allah

indivisible
with liberty and justice for all

god save the queen

This is a pretty petty move, but in all seriousness I could care less. One thing that does bother me is just how unpoetic and lazy "In all of us command" sounds.

Can anyone describing this as ridiculous, extreme, stupid, etc. elaborate a little bit?

As a thought experiment, imagine the reaction of the anthem writer/editors 100+ years ago if it was suggested they add "thy daughters" instead of "thy sons" because it would probably be incredulous laughter. I suppose you could just see this as political correctness striking again, but political correctness wouldn't have the opportunity to be invoked so often by you if there weren't so many historical inequalities that have gone unaddressed to this day.

Although I would have made an argument for keeping it the way it was because I think you can make a more effective gender equality argument by showcasing that things like this were extremely commonplace in the past, and not so much anymore, I don't think it's a stupid or petty move. Children are very likely to incorporate language and behavior they're exposed to into their own thinking and beyond that age it's difficult for people to change. Just think of that stubbornly racist grandparent or uncle you or a friend of yours might have. They grew up in a different era and that mentality is permanently ingrained inside them.

So I don't think it's ridiculous to expose children to things that are more gender-neutral so they carry it with them throughout their lives, even if it seems like a subtle or small change.

It means so little to change the anthem, which I don't care about the change, but really? Do we seriously need to change something so minor just because some SJWs are pissed that an anthem that was made so long ago isn't gender neutral? I can't name a single person who put thought into the fact that our anthem only says "sons" and not daughters. 

If they want to promote gender neutrality (I'm all for it) then they should find some other way to do it instead of changing a song we only think about during special occasions. As for what Celach said about children incorporating gender neutrality in their language, I guess it works but this isn't a very good way of trying to teach them it since people don't think much of what they're singing when they sing the anthem unless they actually analyze the lyrics to it and put some thought into it. There are way better ways to promote it if that was their objective like commercials or school visits from public speakers.

I don't usually support the conservatives, but I don't blame them for starting uproars for this bill being passed. 

SeñorSniperMan said:
Sentron said:
As a gender fluid transexual, who plans on becoming a maple leaf this is perfect for me.

Really, where abouts? I mean, it's either Toronto or Vancouver.

we're both moving to saskatoon so we'll see how it goes

thom sullyboy said:
SeñorSniperMan said:
Sentron said:
As a gender fluid transexual, who plans on becoming a maple leaf this is perfect for me.

Your testicles will freeze if you're in Saskatoon. Have you considered Iqaluit?

SeñorSniperMan said:
thom sullyboy said:
SeñorSniperMan said:
Sentron said:

Your testicles will freeze if you're in Saskatoon. Have you considered Iqaluit?

we were thinking of going to svalbard, norway but we settled on saskatoon, not sure if sentron will change his mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom