2016 Republican & Democratic Presidential Nominations, and General Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celach

Didn't want to be one of those people discussing it 945638127 days before it was readily approaching, but since the Iowa Caucuses are tomorrow, here we go.

Donald Trump is the Roger Federer of the cycle so far; every month since he announced, people and pundits predicted he was done, and he has not only held but increased his lead in a lot of the national and statewide polling. He also has an extremely loyal and fervent fan base that will view him as #1 regardless of pretty much anything. In Iowa, FiveThirtyEight has Trump at just over 30%, with over a 5-point lead over the second place Ted Cruz. RealClearPolitics has Trump at the same mark, but Cruz a slightly more distant second, making it a 6-point lead for Trump. That's still pretty much a toss-up if you have your statistical or political hat on, but Trump has been trending up and Cruz has been trending down. It would be very surprising if those two didn't occupy the first and second place spots.

Nate Silver ran a great article in FiveThirtyEight about reasons to be less skeptical (keep your statistics hat on) about Trump's chances. Even if he loses Iowa, he has huge leads in polls in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada, Georgia, and Florida. The only state that votes before March 15 (Florida) where his polling performance isn't first place is Ted Cruz's home state of Texas.

A big question looming over Trump's performance is, because he is an unconventional candidate who's engaging unconventional voters, how many of them will really go out there and vote for him? If he loses Iowa, it isn't a huge loss for him in my opinion. His real danger is losing by a margin significant enough that people start questioning the accuracy of his measured support in the polls. Support ≠ intent to vote. If he gets 15-20% of the vote that's still an impressive performance in a very crowded field, but the story will be that his poll numbers are inflated. The New Hampshire primary is a week after Iowa Caucuses and many polls and studies have suggested that almost half of those primary voters make up their minds in the final week, so that negative Trump coverage could snowball into his gradual defeat. His "winner" persona would be shattered by losing the first two contests. I think he can get away with not winning Iowa; it itself isn't a good predictor of who gets the nomination, and it has a large evangelical Christian base that you'd assume would be problematic for Trump, but he's even the leading candidate among evangelicals. I think the spin for Iowa if he loses will be "It's amazing that I even did that well, I'm awesome right?" and "Hey look at that we won even in Iowa/Looks like my supporters did turn out to vote/I thought they said I had no chance?"

Anyone have any predictions or hopeful winners?

RE: 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

Your analysis in the last paragraph is good and what I think will happen. Polls are different when it comes to unconventional elections such as this. We had this situation in the UK where the polls got it so unbelievably wrong because people changed their mind on polling day based on think he fear of what would happen if they voted Labour (they were told to think about a Labour government held up by the Scottish Nationalist Party).

I think there will be many people saying they support Trump and then vote completely different on poll day. There will also be those who may not traditionally vote but feel compelled to vote against Trump simply because of how polarising he is even within the Republicans. I think there will be a high turnout and Trump won't win but he will do well.

I liked your comparison. Lately Cruz (started off first but is now second place poll runner etc) has been tanking his campaign, what with the undisclosed loans and just generally making a fool of himself and unlike Trump he doesn't know how to navigate media well enough to turn it to his advantage. Most likely we will see a Trump, Clinton win in Iowa. 

The only competition Trump has had in recent months (after Carson died down) was Ted Cruz however Ted Cruz has been killing his campaign and after the last debate probably took another big hit. The next closest I believe is Rubio and I don't think he will beat Trump even with all the money he is dumping in tv ads. 

All in all it depends on turnout and who actually shows up to vote. If Trumps supporters dont show up then Cruz runs away with it etc etc.  

realized this was republican only. can we open it up for both sides :3

magnify said:
I think there will be a high turnout and Trump won't win but he will do well.

Pretty much called it. :hehe:

Record-high turnout for Republicans, Cruz winning Iowa. Only one state in though but I still think this will be the general trend. It will probably get worse for Trump after this loss.

I'm actually surprised Cruz won after all the stupid things he is doing. If anything though this will only lead to more coverage of Trump.

Tomorrow's headlines will be "Trump loses Iowa" instead of "Cruz wins Iowa"

Im excited to see how other states match up

RE: 2016 Republican & Democratic Presidential Nomination

Sacredavenger22 said:
I'm actually surprised Cruz won after all the stupid things he is doing. If anything though this will only lead to more coverage of Trump.

Yeah and if Trump takes 3rd it will be even worse

Well Clinton and Sanders are tied so I changed title to & Democratic too :hehe:

RE: 2016 Republican & Democratic Presidential Nomination

magnify said:
Sacredavenger22 said:

Yeah and if Trump takes 3rd it will be even worse

Well Clinton and Sanders are tied so I changed title to & Democratic too :hehe:
So exciting :> I really hate how important Iowa is to presidential elections lol

Hoh shit Sanders is giving Clinton a run for her money

RE: 2016 Republican & Democratic Presidential Nominations

Well, like Trump said Obama beat Hillary and up until 2008 he was a political nobody.

http://time.com/4203730/ben-carson-ted-cruz-caucus-dirty-tricks/

Holy shit. This is a big claim to make without any sort of evidence and the story claims that they had proof of this happening. 

I can't wait for the next debate. Cruz will undoubtedly use his win as a talking point and I want to see how everyone responds.

The biggest takeaway for me is Cruz campaigned in all 99 counties compared to the few large rallies Trump held and this only gained Cruz 4% and 1 delegate. Its an impressive win for Cruz none the less. 

I think we will see Trump step up how much money he is spending as well as him widening his ground game to match other candidates.

I think Trump's demise would be a premature call for reasons similar to that. A caucus is different from a primary and a lot of, let's broadly call it "electioneering", goes on literally by the campaigns, literally moments up until these people make their choices.

Literally they herded the people into rooms and counted the votes...... by counting hands.......

Sorano said:
Literally they herded the people into rooms and counted the votes...... by counting hands.......

votes were counted electronically and sent straight to RNC and DNC headquarters though were they not? 

Clinton under (no) heat for alleged staff voter fraud:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4578575/clinton-voter-fraud-polk-county-iowa-caucus

Official results for Democrats in Iowa

Clinton 49.8%
Sanders 49.6%
Malley 0.5%

Damn that's close.

magnify said:

Clinton 49.8%
Sanders 49.6%
Malley 0.5%

Damn that's close.

Keep in mind there is always a margin of error. That 0.2% gap could actually be closed.

There have been a ton of issues brought up over voter fraud, miscounting, and general fuckery yesterday. But if its acknowledged then Sanders and Trump would get more support than if it was just swept under the rug.

1454438040902.jpg

Decap said:
magnify said:

Clinton 49.8%
Sanders 49.6%
Malley 0.5%

Damn that's close.

Keep in mind there is always a margin of error. That 0.2% gap could actually be closed.

No.

Clinton won Nevada:

125251bbd0a14457bc48b86b4f64884c.png

Trump cruised in South Carolina. Watching Jeb announce he's suspending his campaign right now.

6a51477988dd6cba57082851d2d0a6b9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom