Suicide Bomber in Turkey kills 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizz

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/12/europe/turkey-istanbul-explosion/

[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]The suicide bomber who killed at least 10 foreigners Tuesday in a popular central Istanbul tourist area belonged to ISIS, officials said -- an attack that shows the group's nerve, reach and capacity for terror.[/font]

[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]No group claimed responsibility for the blast, yet Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu pinned blame on the group that calls itself the Islamic State, which has entrenched itself in neighboring Syria and Iraq while proving willing time and again to lash out elsewhere.[/font]

[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]At least eight Germans died in the blast between the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque tourist attractions in Istanbul's cultural and historic heart, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said, warning that figure may rise. A Turkish official earlier told CNN that at least nine Germans were killed. Davutoglu indicated that the 15 wounded were from inside and outside his country, with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier saying nine of those were German.[/font]
[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]"They haven't just targeted those who died," Davutoglu said. "They have targeted the whole of Turkey and the whole world."[/font]
[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]Born in 1988, the man responsible for the blast was not among the thousands being tracked by Turkish authorities, having "newly (come) into Turkey from Syria," Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said.[/font]
[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]Just to Turkey's south, Syria has been embroiled in a civil war for nearly five years -- a conflict that, according to the United Nations, has cost more than 250,000 lives, spurred more than half the country's 17 million residents to flee and caused humanitarian crises for those left behind, as illustrated by the hundreds starving in the siege of Madaya.[/font]

[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]This violence can be pinned on many groups, including forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Yet ISIS has been behind many of the worst atrocities there and elsewhere in the region, a fact that's made the terror group a top target for civilized countries.[/font]
[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]A member of NATO, Turkey has increasingly been engaged in this fight -- including allowing the United States to launch strikes from Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey and clamping down to curb more fighters from going through its territory to join the group. ISIS has responded by singling out Turkey as a primary target, and a recent issue of its Dabiq magazine had a cover showing President Recep Tayyip Erdogan alongside U.S. President Barack Obama.[/font]
[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]And Davutoglu stressed Turkey wouldn't back down after Tuesday's attack, urging his countrymen and people worldwide to unite against this threat.[/font]
[font=CNN, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Utkal, sans-serif]"We will continue our fight against terror with the same firm attitude," said the Prime Minister, insisting his country will continue working with the U.S.-led coalition to combat ISIS. "We will never compromise, not one single inch."[/font]

It appears Turkey was under attack by an ISIS suicide bomber in a popular tourist attraction. Right now 10 foreigners are confirmed dead.

I think it's messed up people basically ignored this. Turkey is not a dangerous country for terrorism, from my understanding. they're also a US ally dating back to at least WW2. I guess it's not as marketable as France.

ruarc said:
I think it's messed up people basically ignored this.  Turkey is not a dangerous country for terrorism, from my understanding.  they're also a US ally dating back to at least WW2.  I guess it's not as marketable as France.

thanks facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom