flickering graphics after moving minecraft to new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryant

So I got a new laptop and I've moved my personal minecraft map to it, the problem is, now the graphics flicker in completely random patterns. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, as for the crap laptop I got, it's a lenovo z40 (am to dumb to figure out how to post exact specs)

And does anyone know where I can get the backpack mod for minecraft 1.8? I need more inventory space because I'm an explorer

I found that if I right click minecraft.exe, select "Run with Graphics Processor" in the menu, and select the NVIDIA GPU, then the flickering goes away. The problem is, it's supposed to default to using the NVIDIA GPU, and yet it's acting as if is isn't. What's up with that?

Also, where can I find the latest version of minecraft forge?

Your GPU might be broken,causing the hardware to not detect it properly and for flickering the hardware is not compatibe

Also if you need more backpack space find a donkey get a lead and tame him then you can put chests on it.

stryant said:
So I got a new laptop and I've moved my personal minecraft map to it, the problem is, now the graphics flicker in completely random patterns. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, as for the crap laptop I got, it's a lenovo z40 (am to dumb to figure out how to post exact specs)

And does anyone know where I can get the backpack mod for minecraft 1.8? I need more inventory space because I'm an explorer

I found that if I right click minecraft.exe, select "Run with Graphics Processor" in the menu, and select the NVIDIA GPU, then the flickering goes away. The problem is, it's supposed to default to using the NVIDIA GPU, and yet it's acting as if is isn't. What's up with that?

Also, where can I find the latest version of minecraft forge?

your gpu isnt broken
You need to find out how to set minecraft running by default with the gpu. I also have a lenovo but a different model that has a toggle switch to enable my GPU. in that nvidia gpu setting page there should be tab that allows you to set exceptions to which programs run automatically with it enabled.

OR

if your laptop is always connected to the AC adapter (if this is the case take out your battery while reading this) enable the gpu to always be on and running. This will prevent you from killing your battery's health and everything will run with the GPU on always until you turn off that option

Your laptop has two graphics cards. You're rocking the sweet Nvidia Optimus. Your stock one is used to save on power. Your fancy NVIDIA one is used when you're gaming like a rad bro. You'll need to set your display to use the NVIDIA sick gamer one when you play Minecraft.

As Sass said, follow this guide.

ya if you follow that guide you'll be a RAD gamer, but not yet a gameboy.

as for the MC advice im have no idea

There is a simple way to check this. You should be able to right-click on your game's icon and the menu should show a Run with Graphics Processor > option. Use that and select nVidia. If it works, go into the nVidia control panel and set the preferred graphics processor to nVidia.

SoranoGuardias said:
There is a simple way to check this. You should be able to right-click on your game's icon and the menu should show a Run with Graphics Processor > option. Use that and select nVidia. If it works, go into the nVidia control panel and set the preferred graphics processor to nVidia.

yes follow the tech guru's of the forum for all ur answers

SoranoGuardias said:
I just said that I did try right clicking it and selecting my fancy nvidia GPU. Yes, that does make the flickering go away, but I had already went to the nvidia control panel and selected minecraft to default to using the nvidia GPU.

Yet, when I run it without right clicking it and selecting the nvidia GPU, it acts like it's running with my shitty intel graphics card, which is causing the flickering. Should I try reseting my laptop at this point?

No. Use nVidia control panel to permanently set it to your nVidia card.

You positive you set it up properly? Can you take a screenshot of the program settings like the one listed on step 5 of that tutorial I linked?

minecraftnvidiasettings_zps62b8eac1.png

inb4 eww photobucket

Okay. This looks like it is configured correctly. Now, just make sure your settings are not turned up to high in Minecraft. That will affect performance severely, especially on notebook computers.

My view distance is 8, turning off smooth lighting, fancy particles, clouds, etc. doesn't change anything. I'm seriously thinking it's simply that while right clicking actually causes minecraft to use the nvidia GPU, setting it in the control panel doesn't actually make minecraft use the nvidia GPU for whatever reason.

You may just have to right-click it all the time. Or, you can set the nVidia GPU as the universal default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom