Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Micspam Without Conversion
Recon
Intoxicated

I've had a brilliant idea floating around in the back of my head for the past few months or so, and I finally got the time to put it to the test. And it works!

Basically, the main idea of what I'm going to be doing in this short tutorial is using a software to stream audio directly from your media player, to your microphone. No noise picked up like you get when using stereo mix or the good ol' mic/speakers combo.

Prerequisites:

First off you need a versatile media player that supports different output devices. I suggest Foobar or Winamp. I won't elaborate on each media player in this tutorial, as there are way too many options.

Secondly, you need Virtual Audio Cable. VAC installs a number of audio drivers that simulate devices. There is no need to screw around with these, as they're pretty simply set up by default.

So here we go:

Setting the correct input device:
  • Right click the sound control icon located in your tray, and click "Recording Devices"
  • Right click an empty space, and check "Show hidden devices"
  • Right click the "Line 1" device. (Make sure it is the one under "Virtual Audio Cable") And click "Set as default device." To reverse this later, simply do the same to your microphone device

Setting the correct output device: (This part only covers Foobar2000)
  • Open Foobar2000
  • Under the "Library" alt menu, click on "Configure".
  • In the left hand tree menu, expand "Playback", and select "Output"
  • Switch the audio device in the drop-down menu to "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)"

Now, you want to bind voice so it toggles. Of course, unless you want to hold down V for 4+ minutes.

Something like:
Code:
alias vtoggle "von"
alias von "+voicerecord; voice_loopback 1; alias vtoggle voff"
alias voff "-voicerecord; voice_loopback 0; alias vtoggle von"
bind F1 "vtoggle"
in a cfg will allow you to toggle your spam as you would with HLDJ. This can be put into a cfg, or simply executed one line at a time via console. Thank Panzer for the better toggle script.

After that, exec "voice_loopback 1" in console to hear your audio play ingame.

From there, simply start a song of any kind, and press the key you bound to "von" (set to Insert in the tutorial), and you should be micspamming directly from your media player. From there you can adjust volume and equalizer settings to attain better overall quality.

Note also that conversion, due to its nature, will generally be clearer and overall better quality.

--Optional

Most media players cannot output to two devices simultaneously, and so thus, you will not hear anything from your media player unless you switch it back to your speakers. This little application included in VAC will help you out with that.

Hearing music from your media player:
  • In Virtual Audio Cable's Start Menu folder, launch "Audio Repeater (MME)"
  • Select "Line 1" in Wave In.
  • Select your speakers in Wave Out.
  • Click Start.

------

Any questions?

[Image: sigRecon.png]
[Image: capture.png]

Decap
Mank Demes

whats the sound quality like? is it about the same as playing over hldj or what?

[Image: l9jjoxH.jpg]

scy1192
Tipsy

Or spend $2.18 (free shipping) on one (or two, IDK) of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22475

Recon
Intoxicated

(11-22-2010, 07:43 PM)Decap Wrote: whats the sound quality like? is it about the same as playing over hldj or what?

Note the sentence where I stated that HLDJ will be better quality due to being able to edit on a per-tune basis.

Phraggah
Intoxicated

But then you have to go back and switch your OS's default sound device when you wanna talk on your mic.

This is how it was done before HLDJ/HLSS btw.

Also, Batch converting with adobe audition ftw.

[Image: wD9rmzf.gif]

Recon
Intoxicated

(11-23-2010, 03:22 AM)Phraggah Wrote: But then you have to go back and switch your OS's default sound device when you wanna talk on your mic.

Getting off topic, but how do you batch with Audition? Goldwave is pretty simple, but I've been meaning to learn a more advanced audio editor.

Phraggah
Intoxicated

(11-23-2010, 05:47 AM)Recon415 Wrote:
(11-23-2010, 03:22 AM)Phraggah Wrote: But then you have to go back and switch your OS's default sound device when you wanna talk on your mic.

Getting off topic, but how do you batch with Audition? Goldwave is pretty simple, but I've been meaning to learn a more advanced audio editor.

Go get a copy and ill teach you sometime.

You can also normalize all audio tracks open and batch apply filters/effects to them :3

[Image: wD9rmzf.gif]

Wii Remote Victim
Intoxicated

Starman
Sober

This method is problematic because it will make certain genres sound terrible, no matter how much you equilize them (like you said, this is a lower quality method). A better solution would be just to disable the new changes to voice on the server so that we can continue using HLDJ there.

beny
Intoxicated

Yup, done before.

[Image: UdyDS8G.gif]

Thread Closed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
HLDJ Goldwave Conversion Tutorial Recon 21 11,073 06-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Barney [D²]